Wandering Wednesday

 I find myself once again on a Greyhound bus. I am traveling through upstate Massachusetts and headed to Connecticut. I've done this almost a dozen times by now, both on bus and train. On my way to New York City. However, this trip its's different, not because I am not headed to New York this time, but because I am paying attention. No I am not one that is glued to my phone the entire trip. I do try to see as many sights as i can along the way, looking out the window. This tine though, I notice. I notice the truck drivers hauling on their cigarettes' , with a determined look on their face. I wonder if they are trying to make that deadline, or if they are stressing on how much their weigh-in is going to cost. I look at my fellow passengers, mostly glued to their phones, or sleeping. Maybe they are talking to their traveling partners. Or maybe, they are wondering like me.  


Whatever their story, I would like to know it. However no one talks to anyone. They are not the only ones to blame, I don't make much effort trying to connect with them either. Maybe this is a sign of our forever growing individualist times, or just rudeness. Whatever the case, I hope that at some point people do start talking to one another again. In the meantime, I just continue to look our my window. 

Once I get to my destination, I wander around for some time. I once read the Malcom X would wonder slowly around Boston and just take everything in, and watch people. I thought for once, I would wander slower, and take more in. By doing this, I discovered that in this town, there was another hood, more buildings rotting away, more mentally ill not taking care of. It was also during this time, I saw the what was the beauty of a small New England city, that could have so much more potential, if people would pay attention.










Comments

Popular Posts