The Good Fight is a Entertaining Political journey Through Law.

 If you loved the CBS series The Good Wife as much as I did, then you will love this one. Premiering a year after end of The Good Wife on CBS All Access. ( Now Paramount Plus ) Follows a black , democratic law firm in the heart of Chicago. We are introduced to the first main characters which may be all familiar, as this series as a stellar cast. This series also starts off with the election of Donald Trump. Which the show carries on through the Trump administration through the eyes of a law firm. It currently is at the 5th season, and the 6th is supposed to air sometime in 2022. 


I have just finished watching the entire series on Paramount Plus, and I thoroughly enjoyed the series. However, that goes without saying that not every season was a homerun. The first two or three seasons were the most enjoyable, and most consistent. The show lowered the bar for me around the middle of the third to the fourth season, and I can't say much about the fifth. I really respected what is was trying to do in the first seasons, however, I feel it really lost it's way. This is something that generally happens with a series with multiple seasons. That would be more understandable however, if these were long seasons. Some of the seasons are only around 10 or less episodes. 


Let me break down the seasons:

Season one opens with seasoned lawyer Diane Lockhart ( Christine Baranski ) watching the election results of the 2016 election resulting in Donald Trump getting elected. She is planning to retire and move to South of France, however something is amiss. Her account tells her she doesn't have any money as it was lost in a investment scheme. She quits her current law firm, and becomes a partner at a new Black owned law firm. Thus the basis of the show, and the start of the season. We follow the staff at Reddick, Boseman . As mentioned before, this cast is stellar and Baranski doesn't disappoint as a leading lady. 


The second season opens with the passing of Reddick the co-founder of the firm. The partners asks his daughter Liz ( Audra McDonald.)  to join the firm and be a partner. We still follow the lives of Miah ( Rose Leslie) and Lucca ( Cush Jumbo)  who has been flirting with a guy working for the other side. As well as the other partners , associates and of course the two investigators Marissa Gold ( Sarah Steele) and Jay ( Nyambi Nyambi). Tensions start to rise in the firm inside and outside in their personal lives. Between Trump, the DNC and someone with a hate for lawyers so deep he's killing them. This is another season I thoroughly enjoyed and I couldn't wait to get to season 3. 


Season 3 is where it started to lose me for awhile, however, I bounced back. The season opens with Miah wanting more recognition , with a new pair of shades, she's suddenly femme vital. Her cockiness winds up getting her messed up with some washed up Roy Cohn wanna be lawyer Ron Blum. The firm is in a continued state of tension, and Lucca deals with the ups and downs of being a now single mother . Having to also deal with a situation of being a mom while black. The season winds down with Liz and Diane joining up with the resistance against Trump, and a heavy revenge is going to be dealt  by Blum. 


Season 4 is my least favorite season. I believe in the mid-second and third seasons is where they started adding cartoon type breaks. I feel that they could have done without these and it really takes away from the real purpose of the show. However, this season we kick off with Diane being in a alternate universe where Hillary Clinton is President. Of course this season also touches on the scary and dramatic issues of a international pandemic. I for one don't like to be reminded, especially since we are far from having it end. I do realize why they had to add into this story line and respect the way they did it.  The firm is still at odds with political turmoil, wins and loses and a Epstein case. 

Season 5 I really wish could have gone in such a different direction. With so many character changes, I feel like they are just trying to see how they can end the show. Diane is constantly at odds with being the only white senior partner of a black firm. Marissa gets involved with a fake TV court Judge ( Mandy Patinkin) There is also a great scene in mid-season where Diane imagines talking to the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ( RBG) which I thought was really touching. I really am excited to see where it's going to go next season. I'm hooked.



Final Thoughts:

Overall this is such a great series. I really admire what these creators are trying to do, and it is so refreshing. I don't think there has been a show in a while where I have been so invested in the characters. I admire both the dramatic/comedic approach it takes while taking on the political environments. There are also some really hell yeah for feminism moments in this throughout which I am always down for as well. Lastly I want to mention the killer cast this show has, both regulars and off and on. I also love the fact they bring on a lot go the O.G actors throughout the series. 


Casting: Here are some of the killer cast this series has given us so far.

Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart

Rose Leslie as Maia Rindell 

Cush Jumbo as Lucca Quinn

Delroy Lindo as Adrian Boseman

Sarah Steele as Marissa Gold,

Justin Bartha as Colin Morrello 

Nyambi Nyambi as Jay DiPersia 

Michael Boatman as Julius Cain

Audra McDonald as Liz Reddick

Not to mention the amazing returning cast including Alan Alda, Jane Curtain. Margo Martindale, Michael J Fox and many others. 


Comments

Popular Posts